Botanical Print Workshop with Claire Cawte
We are extremely lucky to have the brilliantly talented textile designer Claire Cawte offering her knowledge of eco printing in this exciting new workshop. Claire Cawte is Welsh textile designer/maker with a BA hons in Contemporary Textile Practice and now working from a studio based in Cardiff Pottery Workshops in Cardiff. The approach to Claire’s practice is fuelled by using environmental and sustainable methods, using locally foraged plants to dye fabric and British wool fleece, and more recently from the Cambrian Mountains in Wales for making the most wonderful felt. Working intuitively with materials and drawing inspiration from tribal costume to embody the ethical aspect of her creative practise in designing and making a range of bespoke accessories.
Nature has an abundance of colour and surprise; in this workshop, you will learn how to create beautiful botanical prints on silk using sustainable natural plant dyes, organically grown and gathered by Claire from the flower field www.theflowerhive.co.uk close to her home in South Wales. Sampling firstly by exploring the most fascinating leaves for pattern and your desired colour from petals and berries. Experimenting with small swathes of fabric and selected plant materials, learn how to extract colour, immerse dye, create repeat patterns, fold, wrap and bind. Then eco print by direct leaf contact, encouraged little preparation and transferring detail onto cloth which secretly happens during the bundle dyeing method. Choosing from your favourite sample you will then develop and enhance your skills. You will scale up your sample tailoring technique and design to desired outcome, making an exquisite backcloth of colour and pattern on your very own gorgeous silk scarf.
Full Day Workshop: £85.00
- Starting 10am-4pm.
- One day of professional dyeing and printing tuition from Claire Cawte based in our studio. See FIND US for details
- A spacious work area is allocated to each student and there are plenty of equipment to go around. All materials required are included in the course fee.
- You’ll be provided with a small pack of sample fabrics which include cotton, wool and silk.
- You are then also provided with a scarf length piece of silk for your final scarf. You are welcome to bring your own fabrics for dyeing too should you wish.
- Free refreshments available, please bring a packed lunch or there is a shop in driving distance
Claire has three dates this lovely workshop is available from, please ensure when booking you select the correct date for you in the drop down list below.